Growing up in Alhambra has been an experience near and dear to my heart. It’s the city where I made some of my first friends and created some good memories. I’m sure my childhood friends would agree: Alhambra and the 626 in general is unforgettable in a very endearing way. In addition to the good times we had, it was just recently that I realized that the San Gabriel Valley is one of the greatest places on earth for its absolutely amazing food selection.
Here are some of my favorites right now (Yelp links included for the sake of addresses):
1. Sam Woo BBQ (Get the shrimp chow mein).
2. Green Zone (Get the won ton soup with ramen).
3. Lollicup (You have to have a boba drink if you’re in the 626. It’s a must).
4. The Original Hat (My favorites: Chili cheese fries, pastrami sandwich, and cherry coke…share the first item)
5. Vittoria Pizza (Pizza is delicious, but they’re also known for their sub sandwiches. I usually go for the #47 1/2 Meatball, 1/2 sausage sandwich with cheese.)
6. Angelo’s Pizza (Another good pizza place. Intimate. George the waiter is the man.)
7. Petrillo’s Pizza (square pizza. Lots of locals boast about this place)
8. Chicken Now (Fried chicken that is way better than your KFC and Popeye’s)
10. Manny’s El Loco (Tacos! Burritos! Carne asada is tasty and the refried beans are to die for)
11. El Vaquero (Hole-in-the-wall good. Carne asada burritos are packed with good meat and good beans. The family that runs this place are really welcoming. Hidden gem in Alhambra.)
Well, there you have it. I know that I haven’t covered everything, but that’s where you come into the picture. Add your favorites in the comments section. And for my friends no longer in the 626, I apologize for making you homesick. When you come back, be sure to shoot me a message so we can grub.